The Dunajec River white water location in the Pieniny mountains borders with Slovakia and is one of the region’s most spectacular natural environment. The scenery is simply stunning and the clear & fresh river water regarded as one of the best in Europe. If you imagine the River Wye between England and Wales and then put it into alpine scenery with huge mountains as a backdrop, that’s Dunajec.
It’s quite a way from Krakow but good party organizers treat the journey as part of the day out. It’s a 6-7 hour stag party event with around 2 hours on the water paddling through stunning scenery of Dunajec Gorge ! After the activity ypu may also want to try some BBQ trout served with fries and local highlander cheese called oscypek - it's delicious and well worth trying !
For the uninitiated stag party member, whitewater rafting is a challenging, adrenalin-raising activity to clear the cobwebs after a heavy night out on the town. All that comes between a weekend reveller’s arse and a good soaking is a good quality inflatable raft and a bit of determination!
This activity became known in the 70s and is increasingly popular with stag party groups. The modern raft is quite a sturdy and well designed piece of kit, consisting of numerous layers of extremely tough rubberized fabric. Independent air chambers are incorporated in a boat between 11 and 20 ft long, by 6 to 8 ft wide. And this is the stag party’s chariot for thrills! They normally carry groups of between 4 and 12 members.
In Krakow, the stag party can look forward to 2 versions of whitewater rafting. The first is held on the Dunajec river in the Pieniny mountains. This glorious river, forming part of the border between southern Poland and Slovakia, is one of the region’s many spectacular natural resources. The scenery is simply stunning and the unpolluted water some of the best in Europe. If you imagine the River Wye between England and Wales, and then put it into alpine scenery with huge mountains as a backdrop, you can see the Dunajec.
It’s quite a way from Krakow, but good party organizers treat the journey as part of the day out. It’s a 6 hour stag party event with around 2 hours on the water and 2 hours is sufficient for anybody! Beer is provided on the return journey only, since, as in any other stag activity, alcohol is not recommended as a breakfast ingredient!
The alternative is the Olympic centre just 30 minutes away from the centre. It lacks the splendour of the mountain scenery, but it’s one of only three purpose built centres for this sport.
Either alternative provides great entertainment and it all comes down to how much time the guys have on their stag party schedules. The shorter version, in Krakow, provides all the buzz required, but the Dunajec version, with the leisurely journey, combines thrills with beauty and some relaxation.
So what is whitewater rafting all about and how much fun is it? There are 6 grades, ranging from something your grandmother would enjoy to an activity that is so dangerous that your life insurance premiums would go off the scale if properly reported to your insurers. But don’t worry – the Krakow stag party is something to be remembered for fun and excitement, not multiple mortality rates!
Here are the grades:
• Small rough areas requiring minimal skill
• More rough water, possibly some rocks, requiring basic skills with a paddle
• Whitewater with small waves, possibly a drop, but not regarded as dangerous. This requires more advanced skill with the paddle
• Whitewater with medium waves, some large rocks and a larger drop. You might lose your breakfast on this one and skill levels need to be pretty advanced
• Whitewater with large waves, even larger rocks and hazards with the possibility of an even larger drop. The inexperienced will lose their breakfast on this one and that is why they are not permitted to try it. Skill level: Advanced Whitewater Experience.
• Don’t ask! This is for the super-talented or suicidally insane and chances of survival are extremely limited without a great deal of luck
So there you have the grades relating to whitewater rafting. But don’t worry, the Krakow stag party rafter will never be subjected to the more extreme levels of this sport.
As always, apply the following bits of common sense:
• Arrive sober
• Listen carefully to the advice given at the briefing given by the qualified instructor
• Use all safety equipment provided
• Don’t move around unnecessarily
• Never endanger your mates in any way and never even threaten to push somebody overboard, even as a joke
• Stay “onboard” and don’t “upset the boat”
Whitewater rafting is fun and increasingly popular among stag party groups in Krakow. It’s handled professionally by professionals and the amateur should feel safe in their hands. Whether the choice is in the Dunajec region or locally in Krakow, the thrills are there for all to enjoy and remember. Just one final word of advice: leave the gladrags at home because you are going to get wet. So bring a change of warm clothing with you. Temperatures are usually in the 80s in Krakow, from May till October, but the wind chill can make you feel uncomfortable. Have fun!
We don’t mean to brag, but we probably have the market’s friendliest booking conditions: